The Department of Forensic Toxicology - the first of its kind in Europe - was established in 1872 to pursue investigations in the field of forensic toxicology. Its mission has remained unchanged since, in particular the qualitative and quantitative measurement of drugs, psychoactive compounds, pharmaceuticals and various poisons by methods of analytical chemistry from biological samples from the living and deceased. The examination of poisons of animal origin, fungal toxins, compounds of heavy metals or radioactive compounds, as well as of endogenous substances (enzymes, hormones) is not part of the scope of duties of the institute. In all cases the results of a so-called "screen" examination are validated or ruled out by a dadicated, high-sensitivity measurement.
15 laboratories and various service units are available for this purpose. The measurements are mostly performed with high-end instruments featuring automatic sample feeders (GC-FID and GC-NPD, HPLC-DAD, GC-MS, HPLC-MS, UHPLC-MSMS, GC-MSMS, automatic SPE sample preparation).
Expert investigations take place in around 10.000-11.000 cases annually by mandate of the authorities (police, courts, prosecutor's office).
Head of the Department of Forensic Toxicology
Dr. Gábor Süvegh
Department of Forensic Toxicology
director, forensic chemist